The role of phoscorites in the minerageny of the Tomtor ore field
Baranov L.N. Tolstov A.V. The role of phoscorites in the minerageny of the Tomtor ore field // Arctic and Subarctic Natural Resources. 2022, Vol. 27, No. 2. P. 195–206. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.31242/2618-9712-2022-27-2-195-206
Abstract. The Tomtor massif of ultrabasic alkaline rocks and carbonatites (UAC) is located in the northeast of the Siberian Platform. The massif is one of the largest UAC in the world and is associated with the unique deposit Tomtor with colossal resources of Nb and REE. Moreover, the Ongkuchakh deposit with apatite-magnetite ores (phoscorites) is located within the massif. The deposit contains more than 1 billion tons of iron in total and about 500 million tons of P2O5 with high concentrations of REE. The Tomtor massif represents an important economic and strategic facility for the development of the Russian Arctic. In this paper we demostrate the contribution of phoscorites to the minerageny of the unique mineralization. We have provided geological and geochemical characteristics of the carbonatite complex and phoscorites. XFA and ICP AES methods were used to study their compositions in comparison with the carbonatite complex and horizons of the lateritic weathering crust that form the mineralization. The generally accepted opinion that the deposit was formed during the weathering of ore carbonatites is supported by the convincing facts proving the significant participation of phoscorites in the formation of Nb-REE mineralization in the supergene complex.
Keywords: Siberian Platform, Tomtor, carbonatite, phoscorite, weathering crust, niobium, rare earths
- Erlich E.N. The new province of alkali rocks on the north of Siberian platform and its geological aspects // Zapisky Vsesoiuznogo Mineralogicheskogo Obshestva. 1964. Vol. 93. P. 682–693 (in Russian).
- Tolstov A.V. Mineralogy and geochemistry of apatitemagnetite ores of the Tomtor Massif (Northwestern Yakutia) // Russian Geology and Geophysics. 1994. Vol. 35, No. 9. P. 76–84.
- Lapin A.V., Tolstov A.V. The oxidation and reduction stages of formation of the supergene zone of carbonatite and its ore-bearing // Geol. Ore Deposits, 1991. No. 4. P. 81–91 (in Russian).
- Tolstov A.V., Gunin A.P. Comprehensive assessment of the Tomtorskoye deposit // Bulletin of the Voronezh State University. Series: Geology. 2001. No. 11.
P. 144–160 (in Russian).
- Cordeiro P.F.D.O., Brod J.A., Palmieri M., De Oliveira C.G., Barbosa E.S.R., Santos R.V., Assis L.C. The Catalão I niobium deposit, central Brazil: resources, geology and pyrochlore chemistry // Ore Geol. Rev. 2011. Vol. 41, No. 1. P. 112–121.
- Lazareva E.V. et al. Main minerals of abnormally high-grade ores of the Tomtor deposit (Arctic Siberia) // Russian geology and geophysics. 2015. Vol. 56, No. 6. P. 844–873.
- Tolstov A.V. The main ore formations of the North of the Siberian platform. M.: IMGRE, 2006. 212 p.
- Konoplev A.D., Tolstov A.V., Vasiliev A.T., Nejablubov G.N., Kuzmin V.I., Sklyadneva V.M., Dubinchuk V.T., Konopleva E.V., Sidorenko G. BUT. Features of localization of rare-metal mineralization at the Tomtor deposit // Rare-metal-uranium ore formation in sedimentary rocks. Sat. scientific tr. M.: VIMS, 1995. Р. 223–241.
- Sleptsov A.P., Tolstov A.V., Baranov L.N. A new look at the minerals of the Tomtor ore field // Geology and mineral resources of the North-East of Russia. M-ly VI Vseros. Scientific-practical. conf. Yakutsk, 2016. P. 271–275.
- Delitsyn L.M., Melent’ev G.B., Batenin V.M., Tolstov A.V. Coexistence of two immiscible liquid phases in a niobium-rareearth element-silicate-salt system // Doklady Chemistry. 2015. Vol. 462, No. 2. P. 165–168.
- Sleptsov A.P., Tolstov A.V., Tomashev A.V., Samsonov N.Y., Baranov L.N. New in the methodology for calculating the reserves of multicomponent ores (on the example of the Tomtor ore field) // Exploration and protection of mineral resources. 2019. No. 6. P. 38–46 (in Russian).
- Lapin A.V., Tolstov A.V., Kulikova I.M. Distribution of REE, Y, Sc, and Th in the unique complex rare-metal ores of the Tomtor deposit // Geochemistry International. 2016. Vol. 54, No. 12. P. 1061–1078.
- Skublov S.G., Tolstov A.V., Baranov L.N., Melnik A.E., Levashova E.V. First data on the geochemistry and U-Pb age of zircons from the kamaphorites of the Tomtor alkaline-ultrabasic massif, Arctic Yakutia // Geochemistry. 2020. Vol. 80, No. 3. P. 125505. https://doi. org/10.1016/j.chemer.2019.04.001
- Kravchenko S.M., Belyakov A.Y., Pokrovsky B.G. Geochemistry and Genesis of the Tomtor Massif (Northern Siberian Platform) // Dokl. RAN. 1992. Vol. 32, No. 5. P. 966–972 (in Russian).
- Kravchenko S.M., Pokrovsky B.G. The Tomtor alkaline ultrabasic massif and related REE-Nb deposits, northern Siberia // Econ. Geol. 1995. Vol. 71 (7). P. 676–689.
- Epstein E.M., Danilchenko N.A., Postnikov S.A. Geology of the Tomtor Unique Deposit of Rare Metals (North of the Siberian Platform) // Geology of Ore Deposits. 1994. Vol. 36, No. 2. P. 83–110 (in Russian).
- Bagdasarov Y.A. Geochemical features of carbonatites and accompanying silicate rocks of the Tomtor alkaline-carbonatite massif (Eastern Anabar region, Yakutia) // Geochemistry. 1997. No. 1. P. 10–20 (in Russian).
- Vladykin N.V., Kotov A.B., Borisenko A.S. et al. Age boundaries of the formation of the Tomtor alkalineultrabasic massif: results of geochronological U-Pb and 40Ar/39Ar studies // Dokl. RAN. 2014. Vol. 454, No. 2. P. 195–199.
- Baranov L.N., Tolstov A.V., Okrugin A.V., Sleptsov A.P. New in the mineralogy and geochemistry of apatite-magnetite ores of the Tomtor massif, North-East of the Siberian platform // Ores and metals. 2018. No. 2.
P. 42–54 (in Russian).
- Okrugin A.V., Tolstov A.V., Sleptsov A.P., Baranov L.N. Petrochemical features of the association of ultrabasic-alkaline rocks and carbonatites of the Tomtor massif and interpretation of possible trends in their evolution // Natural Resources of the Arctic and Subarctic. 2019. Vol. 24, No. 4 (in Russian).
- Lapin A.V., Tolstov A.V. Deposits of weathering crusts of carbonatites. M.: Nauka, 1995. 208 p. (in Russian).
- Tolstov A.V., Cherenkov V.G., Baranov L.N. Genesis and the age of the ore strata of the Tomtor deposit of niobium and rare earths, northeast of the Siberian platform // Ores and metals. 2020. No. 4. P. 32–44 (in Russian).
- McDonough W.F., Sun S.S. The composition of the Earth // Chemical geology. 1995. Vol. 120, No. 3-4. P. 223–253.
- Entin A.R., Zaitsev A.I., Nenashev N.I., Vasilenko V.B., Orlov A.I., Tyan O.A., Olkhovik Y.A., Olshtynsky S.I., Tolstov A.V. On the sequence of geological events associated with the emplacement of the Tomtor massif of ultramafic alkaline rocks and carbonatites (Northwestern Yakutia) // Geology and Geophysics. 1990. Vol. 31, No. 12. P. 42–51