Current dynamics of the amount of solid precipitation and the spring flood runoff on the Sakhalin rivers
D.A. Bobrova1,*, A.I. Kazakov2, A.I. Shevchenko3
DOI 10.31242/2618-9712-2022-27-2-221-232 Show more
1Special Research Bureau for Automation of Marine Research FEB RAS, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia
2Institute of the Marine Geology and Geophysics FEB RAS, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia
3All-Russian Research Institute of Hydrometeorological Information – World Data Center, Obninsk, Russia
Bobrova D.A., Kazakov A.I., Shevchenko A.I. Current dynamics of the amount of solid precipitation and the spring flood runoff on the Sakhalin rivers // Arctic and Subarctic Natural Resources. 2022, Vol. 27, No. 2. P. 221–232. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.31242/2618-9712-2022-27-2-221-232
Abstract. This paper presents the study of the current dynamics of the spring flood runoff layer and the highest water discharge on the Sakhalin Island rivers. We have analyzed the changes in the amount of solid precipitation, which was the main factor in the formation of the river runoff layer. The study was based on the data for the precipitation amount as reported by 13 weather stations, and the flood runoff as reported by 9 hydrological posts. We have also investigated the dynamics of other climatic parameters (the sum of the positive average daily air temperatures from the beginning of snowmelt to the end of high water, the average winter height and density of snow cover). They influenced on the spring flood runoff on the River Arkovo – Arkovo village, and were registered at the Aleksandrovsk-Sakhalinsky weather station.The analysis showed that on the territory of Sakhalin Island an increase in the amount of precipitation was detected during the cold period (November-March) at the weather stations in the northern part of the island, except for the weather station Pogibi. However, there were no significant trends in the total spring flood runoff layer on the Sakhalin rivers, except of the River Tym’, where a decrease in runoff was recorded. Thus, in Sakhalin, the increase in the amount of solid precipitation did not lead to an increase in the values of the flood runoff on its rivers.
Keywords: Sakhalin Island, solid precipitation, spring flood runoff, factors of flood runoff formation
Acknowledgements. The research was carried out within the State Assignment (project number ААААА19-119051390002-3).
- Doklad o klimaticheskih riskah na territorii Rossijskoj Federacii / edited by V. M. Kattsov. Sankt-Peterburg, 2017. 106 p.
- Vliyanie izmeneniya klimata na mnogoletnij sloj stoka vesennego polovod’ya rek Arkticheskoj zony Rossii / V.V. Kovalenko, E.V. Gaidukova, N.V. Viktorova [et al.] // Scientific notes of the Russian State Hydrometeorological University. 2010. No. 14. P. 14–19.
- Transformaciya stoka vesennego polovod’ya i pavodkov v bassejne Verhnej Volgi pod vliyaniem klimaticheskih izmenenij / A.V. Gorbarenko, N.A. Varentsova, M.B. Kireeva // Water management of Russia: problems, technologies, management. 2021. No. 4. P. 6–28. DOI 10.35567/1999-4508-2021-4-1.
- Geografiya raspredeleniya i genezis klimatoobuslovlennyh izmenenij ekstremal’nyh raskhodov vody, opasnyh navodnenij i malovodij na rekah Rossii [Geography of distribution and genesis of climate-conditioned changes in extreme water flow, dangerous floods and low water on the rivers of Russia] / V.A. Semenov, E.V. Gnilomedov, R.S. Salugashvili [et al.] // Proceedings of the All-Russian Research Institute of Hydrometeorological Information World Data Center. 2015. No. 179. P. 108–120.
- Resursy poverhnostnyh vod SSSR: Gidrologicheska yizuchennost’. T. 18. Dal’nij Vostok. Vyp. 4. Sahalin i Kurily [Surface water resources of the USSR: Hydrological studies. Vol. 18. Far East. Issue 4. Sakhalin and the Kuriles]. Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat, 1973. 264 p.
- Bulygina O.N., Razuvaev V.N., Korshunova N.N., Shvec N.V. «Opisanie massiva dannyh mesyachnyh sum osadkov nastanciyah Rossii» [«Description of the data array of monthly precipitation amounts at stations in Russia»] Certificate of state registration of the database No. 2015620394.
- Nauchno-prikladnoj spravochnik po klimatu SSSR (Sahalinskaja oblast’) [Scientific and applied reference book on the climate of the USSR (Sakhalin region)] // Pil’nikovoj 3. Z. (ed.). Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat, 1990, series 3, parts 1-6, no. 34. 351 p.
- Atlas Sahalinskoj oblasti [Atlas of the Sakhalin region] / Edited by P. A. Leonov. M.: The Main Directorate of Geodesy and Cartography, 1967. 144 p.
- State Standard 131.13330.2018 «State Standard 23-01-99* Stroitel’naya klimatologiya [Construction climatology]», M, 2018.
- Bobrova D.A., Kazakov A.I. Mnogoletnyaya dinamika temperatury vozduha na o. Sahalin i Kuril’skih ostrovah [Long-term dynamics of air temperature on Sakhalin Island and Kuril Islands] / D.A. Bobrova, A.I. Kazakov // Environmental systems and instruments. 2021. No. 11. P. 24–31. DOI 10.25791/esip. 11.2021.1261.
- Gubareva T.S., Lupakov S.Y., Garcman B.I., Shamov V.V., Rubcov A.V., Kozhevnikova N.K. Vozmozhnosti ocenivaniya bassejnovoj transpiracii na osnove izmereniya stvolovogo sokodvizheniya: postanovka zadachi [Possibilities of catchment’s transpiration assessment based on sap flow measurements: the problem statement] / T.S. Gubareva, S.Y. Lupakov, B.I. Garcman [et al.] // Hydrosphere. Hazardous processes and phenomena. 2019. Vol. 1. Iss. 4. P. 504–532. DOI 10.34753/HS.2019.1.4.504.
- Gensiorovskij Y.V. Ekzogennye geologicheskie processy i ih vliyanie na territorial’noe planirovanie gorodov (na primere o. Sahalin) [Exogenous geological processes and their impact on the territorial planning of cities (for example of Sakhalin Island)], Cand. philos. sci. diss. Irkutsk, 2011. 19 p.
- Gareev A.M., Zajcev P.N., Komissarov A.V. Nekotorye osobennosti izmenchivosti maksimal’nyh raskhodov vody vesennego polovod’ya v zavisimosti ot vliyaniya stokoformiruyushchih faktorov (na primere bassejnov rek Bashkirskogo Predural’ya) [Some features of the variability of the maximum water consumption of the spring flood depending on the influence of runoff-forming factors (on the example of river basins of the Bashkir Urals)] Bashkir State University, Vol. 20, No. 2. 2015. P. 478–484.
- Bobrova D.A., Kazakov A.I. Analiz izmeneniya kolichestva osadkov i gidrologicheskogo rezhima rek na territorii Sahalinskoj oblasti [Analysis of changes in the amount of precipitation and the hydrological regime of rivers in the Sakhalin region]. IV Vinogradov Conference «Hydrology: from Learning to Worldview» in Memory of Outstanding Russian Hydrologist Yury Vinogradov, St. Petersburg, October 23-31, 2020. St. Petersburg State University. Saint-Petersburg: OOO «VVM Publishing House», 2020. P. 567–572.